Morphological – adult
- small species
- facial spots absent
- postpronotal lobes and notopleura yellow
- scutum black, mesopleural stripe reaching almost to postpronotal lobes, narrow short lateral postsutural vittae which may be present or absent, medial postsutural vitta absent, scutellum yellow with a narrow to broad black band that may cross the scutellum
- wing with a narrow fuscous costal band, anal streak faint and narrow or absent, cells bc and c colourless with microtrichia in outer corner of cell c only; abdominal terga III-V orange-brown with a moderately broad medial longitudinal fuscous to black band over all three terga, broad lateral fuscous to black margins on tergum III continuing either as broad bands on terga IV and V or as dark anterolateral corners of terga IV and V
- posterior lobe of male surstylus short
- female with aculeus tip needle shaped (Drew 1989; pers. comm., Drew 2010, pers. comm., Royer 2017).
Morphological – larvae
Not available/included in this edition.
Diagnostic BOLD reference data available.
PCR-RFLP Test 1
BsrI: 580, 250
HinfI: Does not cut
HhaI: 600, 180
SnaBI: Does not cut
SspI: Does not cut
Vspl: Does not cut
Approximate ITS1 fragment length – gel: 750 bp.
PCR-RFLP Test 2
AluI, DraI and RsaI produce diagnostic restriction patterns for B. facialis and B. passiflorae which cannot be distinguished (See Restriction enzyme haplotype chart and Diagnostic restriction patterns).
AluI: 770-760, 270, 170, 130, 120, 110
DraI: 1200, 290, 110
RsaI: 500, 420, 410, 290